It’s been over a year since the pilot of Dirk Gently was screened by the BBC but the first series proper starts tonight on BBC4. Advance word is extremely positive, with Stephen Mangan (who plays Douglas Adams’ ‘holistic’ detective for the 3 episode run) apparently turning a terrific comic performance.
For those of you wondering ‘Stepen Mangan? Is he the one who looks like the donkey out of Shrek and was in that hospital thing?’, here’s a run down of 5 top Mangan-facts.
1) His first substantial role was as Adrian Mole in the 2001 series Adrian Mole – The Cappuccino Years. Sadly, it wasn’t very good.
2) He played Dr. Guy Secretan in the critically-acclaimed Channel 4 series Green Wing. The show ran for 2 series and a special and won significant praise and several awards. It also lead to Mangan forming a kind of ‘advert double act’ with co-star Julian Rhind-Tutt as they went on to make a series of ads for Barclaycard in which they played characters very similar to those in the show.
3) Mangan won Celebrity Mastermind, scoring 15 of his 29 points for specialist subject The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, which was written by Douglas Adams, coincidentally also the author of Dirk Gently.
4) In 2002, he became the only man to ever try and seduce Alan Partridge onscreen when his character Dan ‘DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN!’ Moody attempted to involve Alan in a swinging session with him and his wife.
5) Mangan was reunited with Green Wing sitcom co-star Tamsin Greig for sitcom Episodes, about a pair of British sitcom writers transferring their hit sitcom to the US. The programme also featured ex-Friends sitcom star Matt LeBlanc, who played a US sitcom star. Give us a minute and we might be able to get the word ‘sitcom’ into this paragraph a couple more times.
That’s it for now, factwise. Dirk Gently starts tonight on BBC4 at 9PM.