Will and Kate’s balcony kiss from the 2011 Royal Wedding has topped a poll of the most uplifting British TV moments from the last ten years.
In research released today to celebrate ten years of Freeview, the landmark moment topped the poll, narrowly ahead of Jonny Wilkinson’s World Cup winning drop-goal in 2003.
Other notable moments in the Top 20 list included Susan Boyle’s first appearance in Britain’s Got Talent in 2009 (7th), Tim and Dawn’s “kiss” in the final episode of the office in 2003 (9th), and Freddie Flintoff’s moment of true sportsmanship, when he consoled Brett Lee at the end of the Edgbaston test match during the epic Ashes series of 2005 (10th).
Britain’s Got Talent, which is currently doing battle in the ratings with The Voice, received a boost as it was voted the UK’s favourite TV programme of the last ten years ahead of Doctor Who, while – strangely – Emmerdale topped the list of soaps, finishing ahead of Coronation Street and EastEnders.
The research also gauged peoples’ views of British television; a fifth of Brits believe that British TV has never been better. And nearly four out of ten of those over the age of 45 believe that British TV is currently the best in the world (39%), compared to a third of adults overall.
Despite technical innovation in TV over the last ten years, the pull of the major TV event still appeals to viewers. Nearly three out of ten people like to watch programmes live, at the time of broadcast.
The research coincides with the launch of Freeview’s new online game show, The Generosity Game, featuring Jon Culshaw. Viewers can play the game at www.freeview.co.uk.
OnePoll conducted the research in April 2012, polling 2,000 adults across the UK.
Top 20 Uplifting TV Moments:
1. Royal Wedding: Will and Kate’s balcony kiss (2011)
2. Rugby World Cup: Jonny Wilkinson’s winning drop-goal (2003)
3. Only Fools and Horses: Delboy and Rodney bring an illegal immigrant home (2002)
4. I’m a Celebrity: Jordan and Pete get together (2004)
5. EastEnders: Alfie comes back for Kat (2005)
6. Champions League Final: Liverpool’s comeback (2005)
7. Britain’s Got Talent: Susan Boyle’s audition (2009)
8. Planet Earth: Emperor Penguins end of winter scene (2006)
9. The Office: Tim and Dawn’s kiss in the final episode(2003)
10. The Ashes: Freddie Flintoff consoles Brett Lee (2005)
11. Doctor Who: Rose defeats the daleks (2005)
12. Vicar of Dibley: Puddle scene (2006)
13. Gavin and Stacey: Smithy crashes Nessa’s wedding (2010)
14. Sport Relief: David Walliams swims the River Thames (2012)
15. Top Gear: James and Richard convert a Reliant Robin into a space shuttle (2007)
16. Olympics: Kelly Holmes wins gold in the 800m (2008)
17. The Apprentice: Good guy Tom wins after being in the losing team (2011)
18. Downton Abbey: When Lady Mary and Matthew get together (2011)
19. Formula 1: Lewis Hamilton winning the World Championship (2008)
20. Comic Relief: Robert Webb on Let’s Dance (2009)